Wednesday, November 01, 2006

the boys leave Ayodhya

This tranquil flow is the Sarayu river and the turbulence behind me is Ayodhya. We the princes of the Sun dynasty dissolve in these cold waters of Sarayu at the end of our lifes , in ashen forms. Sarayu carries the ashes into the holy Ganga and from there ,like every drop we find our ocean. Khatvanga who begot Dirghabahu;Dirghabahu who begot Raghu ;Raghu who begot Aja ;Aja who begot Dasaratha ; then me and my three brothers, all have ended or will end in this mighty flow. Sarayu is the destiny of Raghuvamshis.

Vishwamitra, the angry sage wants me to fight against the demons disrupting his holy rituals. I am twelve years old but father wants me to go. He had begged the sage with tears in his eyes but Vishwamitra insists on my going. I am afraid, I dont know what demons are but father has to keep his word,his dharma. I am setting out on this journey with Laxmana and the sage, I am terrified ,I want to stay back in Ayodhya. Did Rishyasringa curse the dynasties at the end point of his innocence , did he feed the flames of Ashwamedha with his own tears.

The two boys with quivers and bows follow the Sage Vishwamitra to keep their father's word and the warriors dharma. They would never be twelve year old boys anymore.

3 comments:

kochuthresiamma p .j said...

no but they would fire the imagination of an entire people till the end of days.
they would inspire the same people with values that make them the greatest of races till the end of days.
the price paid for the construction of this legacy is never too high.

Lovely blog!

Anonymous said...

the ironies of dharma
that gives only one definite path
and restricts any free will
the boys live the life of their ancestors
and their life lived by their kids !!!!!

once u fooled me, hope this time it is your own piece of writing. if yes i envy ur skills and if not i admire ur choice ;))

~NJ

b v n said...

tresa, legacy till end of days - greatest race. felt like a slice out of catcher in the rye.hey,welcome to the blog :)

Nina, this time havent fooled you :) and thanks a tonne for whatever you've said :)*and hell ! its coming from you*